Sidewalk and Approach Permit

Sidewalk and Approach Permit Application

Development Standard Driveway Details

When is a Sidewalk and Approach permit required?

Anytime new sidewalk or approach is proposed or existing sidewalk or approach is being modified.

Why is a Sidewalk and Approach permit required?

To ensure that the work performed is done in accordance with the City of Troy’s Standard Specifications and all disturbed areas are restored to original or better condition.

Who should obtain a Sidewalk and Approach permit?

It is highly recommended that the person or contractor performing the work obtain the permit. A home owner can pull a permit for a contractor if they are willing to assume the risk and liability for the contractors work.

What is needed to obtain a Sidewalk and Approach permit?

  • Sketch of Improvement showing dimensions in feet (ft)
  • Area calculation in square feet (ft2)
  • Traffic plan (if necessary)
  • Proof of Insurance with City of Troy as additional insured along with an Endorsement for the additional insured
  • Permit fee based on the scope of work
  • Cash deposit (if required)
  • Where to obtain a Sidewalk and Approach permit?

    The Engineering Department is utilizing submittal of Sidewalk and Approach Permits online through AccessMyGov website, this allows for online application submittal, status inquiry, plan attachments, scheduling inspections, and payment of fees. An account must be created through:

    Contractor: Contractors Create an Account Here

    Homeowner: Homeowners Create an Account Here

    Submit all necessary paperwork, insurances and plans by attaching them with the original permit application online. Fees will be calculated once we receive the application. If you have any questions please contact Engineering 248.524.3383 or come to the first floor of City Hall, 500 W. Big Beaver.

    Did You Know?

    • There are over 322 miles of major and local roads maintained by the City of Troy.
    • Most of Troy's major roads are under the jurisdiction of the Road Commission for Oakland County: Adams, Crooks, Livernois, John R, Dequindre, South Boulevard, Long Lake, Big Beaver, Maple and 14 Mile.
    • The Road Commission for Oakland County installs, maintains and sets the timing for all traffic signals in Troy.  Troy's Traffic Engineering Division monitors the operations and makes recommendations for better performance.
    • The City of Troy secured approximately $22 million in State and Federal funding for major road improvements from 2009 to 2014. Troy's required local match is 20% of these funds